Reality of NonHuman & Vampire Identities

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Reality of NonHuman & Vampire Identities

A support, education and social group for & about Therians, Otherkin, Human-Living/Modern Vampires, and other related Identity Groups or Subcultures.

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» List(s) of Resources/References
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 11:41 am by A.Nightside

» Norwegian Dragonkin Gathering
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 11:24 am by A.Nightside

» Reality Group's Glossary
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am by A.Nightside

» Reference Requests?
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 pm by A.Nightside

» The Otherkin -- Fourtean Times Magazine -- Emma McNeil -- 2012
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 pm by A.Nightside

» Around the World
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 5:53 pm by A.Nightside

» Videos - Miscellaneous Sources
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 4:51 pm by A.Nightside

» History of the Therian Community - House of Chimeras
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 am by A.Nightside

» Other FAQs
A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 1:49 pm by A.Nightside

Top posting users this month

No user

A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT

A.Nightside
    A.Nightside
    Elder

A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT Empty A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT

Post by A.Nightside Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 pm

A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT 51U40Lt1GnL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_
    A Field Guide to Otherkin - Lupa [Greenwolf] -- Amazon.com
    Click the image to be taken to the Amazon page. Click the image on that page, to view a limited page preview of the book
    Or,
    {{Click Here}} to view/download your own copy of the 30 page pdf preview.
    File hosted by nofile.io .

A Field Guide to Otherkin is a book about otherkin written by Lupa and published by Immanion Press. This book was the first book focusing on the otherkin community in its entirety, and was intended to give outsiders an overview of the community. It relied heavily on responses to surveys which were distributed throughout the community, as well as some online interviews and citations from various otherkin websites.
    -- AnOtherWiki

Otherkin are people who identify on some level as other than human. Curious to find out more? This is your introduction to this unique subculture!

The Otherkin community is a small but growing subculture of people who identify in some way--spiritually, metaphorically, etc.--as Other than human. Some resonate with dragons, while others believe they were elves in another life, and still others identify as wolves, great cats, and other animals.

Of course, this all may seem a little odd to those who aren't Otherkin. What do Otherkin believe? Why do we believe these things? How does being Otherkin affect how we relate to the world around us--and ourselves? A Field Guide to Otherkin offers answers straight from over 100 survey respondents, collected by Lupa, herself a wolf therianthrope, and elaborated upon by her.

A Field Guide to Otherkin is designed to inform both Otherkin and non-Otherkin about the community and the people and beliefs that create it. Rather than being a collection of statistics, it is a look into the lives of Otherkin, qualitative rather than quantitative.

Excerpt
    Otherkin don't always advertise as such to non-'kin. We don't have 'I am an elf/dragon/wolf' tattooed on our foreheads (though some of us have more discreet tattoos that are related to being 'kin); those who dress for their 'kin selves usually are assumed to be parts of other subcultures, such as pagans, Goths or hippies. Coming out of the 'kin closet is generally reserved for people who are known to be 'kin-friendly. In the event that Otherkin come out to people who are completely clueless about us, the reaction can be pretty underwhelming. It's a rare case when someone actually gets a serious negative reaction (and being told you're weird doesn't count). I've yet to hear of anyone being forcibly institutionalized, drugged, disowned, or otherwise abused for coming out as 'kin. The worst that tends to happen is teasing and gossip. This isn't to say that worse situations can't and don't happen, but for the most part they're pretty rare. (For more information on coming out, please see Chapter 9, 'So You Think You're Otherkin').

That being said, most 'kin lead pretty normal lives. We hold jobs, raise families, have hobbies, and most of us blend into society pretty well. We come from a variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. There does appear to be a high proportion of overlap with other subcultures. For example, there are a lot of geeks among Otherkin, which may lead outsiders to believe we're all wrapped up in anime, technological advances, specialized intellectual pursuits, and we all work in computer-related fields. While this is true for some, keep in mind also that the bulk of Otherkin information is internet-based, and so the community tends toward the computer-friendly. Still, trying to typecast all Otherkin as geeks (or by any other subcultural label) is pretty futile and does a disservice to those who don't fit the stereotype. Those who are open-minded enough to accept the idea of Otherkin tend to also accept and even embrace other subcultures, but this doesn't mean that all 'kin like to buck the system.

So how does being 'kin affect everyday life? Not nearly so much as you'd think. Otherkin status doesn't automatically make a person vastly different from the rest of the world. Usually it's more a matter of the nonhuman traits coloring the perception.
    -- Author's Den
    #Otherkin
    A.Nightside
    A.Nightside
    Elder

A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT Empty Re: A Field Guide to Otherkin -- OUT OF PRINT

Post by A.Nightside Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Orion Scribner’s marginalia upon Lupa’s A Field Guide to Otherkin

Summary
    A few updates, corrections, opinions, and additions for Lupa’s book A Field Guide to Otherkin. Further resources include a list of works that cite the Field Guide, reviews of it, and original surveys that were sent in to it. This document was assembled and publicly shared with written permission from Lupa.
    Keywords : corrections, errata, Field Guide to Otherkin, Lupa, marginalia, otherkin

Author : Orion Scribner has been actively involved in the otherkin community for over ten years, and therefore has familiarity with the subject dealt with in Lupa’s book A Field Guide to Otherkin.

Introduction

About this marginalia file
    The notes jotted by readers in the margins of books are called “marginalia.” A collection of marginalia can approach the value of annotation. As such, this marginalia file is a list of unofficial commentary upon A Field Guide to Otherkin, a book written by Lupa and published in 2007 by a small press.[1] Think of this marginalia document as what it would be like if everybody who read the Field Guide could pool all of their marginal notes together into one shared reference document.

This marginalia is not a stand-alone document, but is intended as a companion for readers of A Field Guide to Otherkin. As such, this document will be useless to people who are not reading A Field Guide to Otherkin. This document is not a review, and it will not attempt to summarize what A Field Guide to Otherkin is like.

I, Orion Scribner, collected this marginalia. Where not indicated otherwise, I also wrote the marginalia. I was not directly involved in the creation of Lupa’s A Field Guide to Otherkin. I had the opportunity to contribute a survey response and illustration, but I did not.

That said, I am more than just a reader of the book. Lupa and I have corresponded before and after the book’s publication. Lupa does mention me (under my previous name), my comic Theri There (p. 51), and my Otherkin and Therianthrope Book-List (p. 9, 18) in her Field Guide to Otherkin.

Overall, I have a positive impression of Lupa’s book, not because the book mentions me, but because the book offers a satisfactorily and consistently accurate description of the otherkin and therianthrope communities. Ordinarily, it would take a year or so of active participation in the communities to become familiar with what they’re like (their usual philosophies, perspectives, and experiences), but the Field Guide can establish that level of familiarity in a few hours.

In an e-mail conversation with Lupa, I asked for permission to write and publicly share this document, and Lupa granted that permission.
    I hope that this collection of commentary will assist other readers, and that it could someday assist the creation of a revised edition of the book. Any criticism that I write or include here is meant to be constructive and helpful to readers and potential editors.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 pm